- Beach Patrol
- North Myrtle Beach Ocean Rescue
North Myrtle Beach Ocean Rescue
In 2006, North Myrtle Beach City Council members voted to take complete control of beach safety, which had previously been ran by contracted independent service franchises. This step had never been taken before by a municipality in the Grand Strand area. Lifeguards are no longer "dual role" and do not rent beach chairs and umbrellas. The only function of lifeguards in North Myrtle Beach is beach safety.
Lifeguards are now trained above and beyond minimum guidelines of the United States Lifesaving Association. The City of North Myrtle Beach Services Division has the proud distinction to be the only USLA Certified Agency on the Grand Strand. The ocean rescue operation is overseen by the Public Safety Department and managed by Lifeguard Coordinators. All Coordinators are state certified law enforcement officers and also certified Lifeguard Instructors. Each year the City hires approximately 100 lifeguards to cover 50 Lifeguard Towers and 9 miles of beachfront.
Pay Rates and Bonus Information
Starting pay for lifeguards has been increased to $16 - $18 per hour. Guards will receive a .50 cent raise up to the $18 per hour maximum for each summer they return. Supervisor pay has now been increased to $18 - $20 per hour with a maximum wage of $20 per hour. Lifeguard bonus is up to $700. (Have to work a minimum of 65 days to qualify for bonuses plus designated holiday weekends.)
- Minimum 16 Years of Age
- Ability to Swim 500 Meters in Ten Minutes or Less
- Beach Patrol Lifeguard Academy
- Rookie lifeguards will receive paid training while at the Lifeguard Academy.
- Successfully complete the Beach Patrols 70-hour Lifeguard Academy class and receive certification as a Lifeguard and in CPR, First Aid, and AED (this will be taught during the Lifeguard Training Academy)
North Myrtle Beach Lifeguards must meet the minimum United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) standards and all certification hours are paid during training to qualified applicants.
Apply to be a Lifeguard online.
Free Swim Clinics
All lifeguards will have to complete a 550 yard timed swim test before beginning work. To help you get ready, we host free swim clinics weekly.
- Date and Time: Every Saturday from February 4th - April 29th, 5:30pm - 7:00pm
- Location: North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center pool. 100 2nd Ave South, North Myrtle Beach, S.C. 29582
Work on your on your swimming technique, stamina, and get to know some of our veteran lifeguards.
Explore the Beach Before You Go
Safe Beach Day is a website where beach goers can check the Aquatic Risk conditions before they arrive. The site also provides basic weather and water information. We currently have two zones: Main Street to Cherry Grove Point and 1st Ave S to 48th Ave S. Use the links listed below:
Main Street to Cherry Grove Point